The following tips can come in handy every once in a while when you lose your balance:
- Ensure that you fall into the water and not onto the board by aiming to the side. An injury is more likely to occur if you fall onto the board.
- Keep the paddle close to you when falling. In the event you get separated from your board, retrieve your board first, get back on, and then paddle with your hands to retrieve the paddle.
- Make sure you go with a friend so you can keep an eye on each other.
- You can come to your knees with control in that split second before you fall. Create muscle memory before you go from kneeling to standing, or standing to kneeling, so that you can regain control at the slightest wobble.
- Paddle around the right way. Make sure the face of your blade is in the right direction.
- Do not Stand too far forward or back. Always ensure and maintain balance in the centre of the board to avoid losing grip.
- Do not forget to wear your leash. A leash will keep your board close by in case you fall, allowing you to get back on it easily and quickly. You may end up swimming a long way to find your board if it is not leashed, as it could be taken by the wind or drifted by a current.
To get you started on your first adventure day trip, we’ve put together a little guide to help you gear things up.
THINGS TO CARRY
- While trying out any water sports, always make sure you carry a small waist dry bag or a waterproof bag if you have one.This will ensure your belongings are safe in case you fall.
- Polarised Sunglasses to help against sun glare.
- Carry your Sunscreen. Also apply well in advance as UAE climates are pretty harsh.
- Water reflections can be quite damaging to your lips so carry an SPF Lip Balm if you wish to paddle in summers.
- Your Mobile phone in case of emergencies (and Instagram of course!)
- Some snacks like protein or muesli bars because why not.
- A whistle – In case you wish to paddle among a group of people, a whistle comes in real handy should you get separated.Some Water to avoid Dehydration
- A personal First aid kit that includes the basics, such as bandages and painkillers.
- A small microfiber towel – convenient for drying your hands when using your phone on the paddle.
Standing up paddleboarding gives you the chance to explore the world at your own pace. The world appears entirely different when seen from water. Furthermore, you can broaden your travel horizons through it. The view of the planet’s lakes, rivers and coastal stretches is a unique way to spot wildlife and appreciate the rich natural beauty of the planet.
So get right on it and start paddling on Dubai’s waterways!